Sunday, December 11, 2011

What kind of mom does this?

A couple of months ago, I was at the Y (I think actually working out back then) and a saw a paper for registration for winter dodgeball. I thought, Oh my goodness, Spencer is going to be elated. I asked him if he wanted to play and of course, he said, "yes!". Time went by and it was time to register so I contacted the coordinator at the Y b/c the age bracket was 10-12 year olds or 13-adult....Technically, by the deadline for registrations, Spencer would be 12, but by the time they started the first game, he would be 13 so I wasn't sure what to do there. The guy in charge told me to register him with the adults (13 and up).

So....one Friday night, Trevis and I were on a date and I said, "Let's sign Spencer up for the dodgeball". I explained how he would be playing with 13-up including adults and Trevis said, "ARE YOU CRAZY???" I said, no. I talked to Spencer and he's excited and the director sign to sign him up in this age division. He said, I AM NOT HAVING SOME GROWN MAN THROWING  A BALL AS FAST AS HE CAN AT MY 80 POUND SON!! ok....step back and breathe....So....Trevis contacted the director and he told him that he would try to make a teenage division if they had enough interest. So...we registered him...We explained to Spencer many times to make sure he knew he would more than likely be playing with grown men. He was still excited...

It must be a boy/guy thing b/c the idea of people throwing balls at me as hard as they can and me trying to get out of the way...well...no thank you very much.

A side note.....I would lying to say that I have never wanted to throw a ball at Spencer, but to have strangers do that....NO WAY! Something about that doesn't seem right.

Spencer's first game was last Sunday afternoon. I was a nervous wreck and was sure he was gonna die. He said, "gee thanks mom for your confidence". It's just....the parents watch by standing on the inside track above and my just turned 13 year old son looked very little compared to the men that were old enough to be his daddy. Granted, most of the boys are teenagers, but they are much older teenagers. He survived though and even though they lost, he really enjoyed himself.

This week, I tried to take some pics. I calmed down a little bit. Spencer was more aggressive and amazingly, nobody has gotten hurt so far. Here's a defensive shot I got today. (I was going to include an offensive shot, but his eyes...well. they were red and look really scary and I can't fix it, so I'll try again next week.)

oh....the things we let our kids do....This has scared me worse than tackle football when he was in 2nd grade.
With Much Love,
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment