Friday, September 10, 2010

RUN! RUN! RUN!

Claps and Cheers all around....I LOVE this sport....at least I love to watch it anyway. Yesterday was Spencer's first middle school cross country race. Runners were all abuzz with excitement, tents were up, concessions and t-shirts were selling...It was the place to be. I parked in the middle school parking lot and came around the corner. WHOA!! I don't even know how many middle schoolers were running. The varsity girl's team ran first @ 5. That was fun b/c a little boy I had in my class last year....his big sister runs and man is she fast!! She came in first for Varsity girls. Then, boys varsity (top 7 from the team) ran. It was an exciting beginning, but we had to take a potty break and by the time we got back, the boys were already finishing.....We saw lots of familiar faces walking around.

Then...dun, dun, DUN!!! It was 6:00. Time for the junior varsity race. It was all the boys and girls that were not varsity running all at the same time. They tried to line them up as smootly as possible, but there were hundreds of kids. As they took off, Spencer was in the middle of the pack. We waiting excitedly to see him come around the corner at the halfway point. Mom said, "There's Spencer!". I was like, "no way, WHERE?" Holy Cow! There he was.....I was thinking, "I hope he can keep this pace". He had worked his way toward the top 20% of the racers.....Go SPENCER!, we were all shouting. He was going. His uniform was so loose (Their real, new uniforms are coming in today, hopefully). I just hoped his clothes stayed on. Go! Go! Then, we all made our way to the chute (finish line). We were all spread out cheering for the kids as they came in....Go!...I was watching like a hawk and lo and behold he was rounding the corner....Go Spencer!! His jersey falling off his shoulder sprinting it out at the end. He finished 26th out of all the JV kids (both boys and girls). His unofficial time was 11:17 (for a mile and a half) We were so proud of him. I couldn't believe it. He kept the pace. He actually sped up. What a night! The comeraderie was great. All the parents we know cheering for our kid, us cheering for there's and kids we don't even know.....I LOVED the excitement. His middle school ended up taking the 1st place team trophy for girls and 3rd place for boys.



Here's a family picture afterward....Yes, Natalie's teeth and braces are pink from red gatorade....



With Much Love,
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment