Monday, August 16, 2010

Spencer's 1st 5K

I Corinthians 9:24
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.



Spencer ran in the Fenton Payne and Fred 5K this weekend. This race benefitted a few organizations but my favorite one was "Special Kids". This organization does a lot for the children in our community.

This was our first experience at a 5K (approx 3.1 miles). Spencer's coach wanted the kids to register to kind of practice before the real season races begin. We were at MTSU at about 6:30 scurrying around with the other 1,000 runners. Thank goodness I had little Ainsley showing me where to go for everything. She was very helpful. (I had her in class 2 years ago.) Spencer had his number pinned, his chip on his shoe (This records their actual time from starting line to finish line), and we had located the coach. Without a hitch, it started at 7:00 a.m and they were all off! All the cross country teams had to line up at the back so it probably took them awhile to get around all the others.......

A guy who appeared to be from Kenya won the race. I don't remember his time, but boy it was fast!! We were watching the race and the kids/adults run toward the finish line watching and waiting for Spencer....Finally, he rounded the corner. My eyes filled up with tears. He did it!! He finished. His official time was 28:07....He was really happy with that time for his first race. They were not allowed to practice outside this past week due to the heat index being over 104 degrees. Spencer has worked his butt off running though trying to make the team runs throughout the summer.

You see...Spencer did not like running when he started at the beginning of the summer. It was extremely, hot, humid, and there was no reward. As he conditioned, he became more sore and more sore. I began to question myself as to why I thought it was a good idea for Spencer to do this. However, when school started full time last Monday and he got in the routine of conditioning every day with his coach and teammates, something seemed to click. He didn't hate it anymore and actually started to like it. After the race, I asked him if he wanted to try out for the team. He was like, "oh yea!". It's amazing how his attitude has changed in the past two months.

He said to me last night, "Mama, I don't like to run by myself. I like to run with a group". I thought about that and how that is like life. It's much easier to do "life" when you have others to motivate, encourage, and cheer for you as your running. It's hard when you feel alone and isolated....not sure where the path is leading and when you're ever going to get there.

I have learned so much from Spencer during these times (even when he protested practicing). I'm proud of you son! You finished....and just think....it's only going to get easier from here.

May you be someone's encourager today!!:-)

With much love,

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment