Thursday, December 1, 2011

30 day review of Time 4 Learning

A couple of months ago when I was seriously considering homeschooling Spencer, I met with a friend of mine named Cris as she invited me to her home. She showed me all types of curriculum that her daughters and sons were using. One of the electronic resources her little boy used was Time 4 Learning. She showed me the program while her son was actually playing along. I had been doing all kinds of skills with my youngest (who is 5--prekindergarten), but to have something on the computer that was age-specific was wonderful. I set up Justus to do the kindergarten level even though he is not yet in kindergarten. He has computer readiness skills already so I knew he was ready to jump into phonics full-fledged. With having recently been adopted 10 months ago from another country and learning his 3rd language, the phonics help is beneficial. There are several types of learning games for each level of the phonics program. They have a parent page too so you can see how your child scores on the quizzes if they are working independently.  I really enjoy this feature b/c after a few times sitting with him, Justus knows how to work through the games and what the expectations are. The narrator reads the questions and the activities are interesting and age appropriate depending on the age you are using it for.

I thought while I was at it, maybe I should see if I liked it for Spencer. He is my 7th grader that I recently began homeschooling. I use Time 4 Learning as a supplement for him. For instance, when we were covering famous scientists in science, I could look at the science lesson plan and get the exact code to enter so I could provide reinforcement with what he was learning out of the book. For reading....we just completed reading, A Wrinkle in Time and doing a character study. I wanted to select a different genre this week so I chose, "The Scarlet Pimpernell" on Time 4 Learning Chapter 5. It was an integrated learning unit so it covered vocabulary, an activity to build background knowledge, comprehension questions, and a writing prompt.

If you are looking for a program to supplement skills for your child, I recommend time 4 learning.  
This opinion is entirely my own and  this review was not written by Time4Learning, but the writer was compensated.
 


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melanie - I really enjoyed your detailed review. My own kids have been using T4L for 5 years now, so it's nice to read the unbiased opinions of someone new once in a while! :) It's good to hear you liked the program, and I know what you mean about using it to supplement your other homeschooling efforts. We use T4L as our main curriculum but supplement it with plenty of other things. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete