Saturday, December 11, 2010

We're Home!!

Wow! I can't believe we're home. I had intentions of emailing my mom a blog post every day we were there, but "whew!" we were so busy and there was so much to process, bonding to be had, and families to connect with that it was hard to have time to post. Plus, the electricity goes out periodically at the Riviera Hotel so you might have something typed up and "boop" it's gone. Also they do have internet, but it's definately not high speed, *wink* *wink*. I was immersed into another culture for 6 days. I still have much to process. You can see it on video, see it in pictures, and read about it, but honestly.....I've never been out of the country (except for Canada, does that count?) and never been to a third world country. I adopted the attitude of "roll with the flow" there.

Many days I thought about how Justus will feel when he comes home. Addis Ababa has it's own language, music, smell, food, driving philosophy (haha), manners, customs, you name it.....really nothing is the same except we had a Christmas Tree in our hotel. The weather is about 78 degrees there now and beautiful every day. People walk everywhere by the hundreds, lining shops, several children begging, goats jumping in and out of tin houses, and a donkey eating grass in the middle of the highway. They have a different way of doing things, but it works for them. I remember how strange it all felt to me Sunday night...how uncertain I felt even though I was  prepared and imagining that for my son when he comes to the United States. I just wrote, "son". He is officially our son now. We went to court on Wednesday. I will take you back to Day 2, Day 3, and Day 4 retro. I just wanted to post that I slept sooooooooooooooo good in my bed last night. It took us 27 hours to get home with all our flights and layovers. I clapped as the plane touched down in Washington DC. I am so thankful that in 2 weeks, Ethiopian Airlines will offer a direct flight from DC to Ethiopia and it will be only 12 hours instead of 16---praise the Lord. I feel like I've done a lot of butt tightening in my seat to keep from getting numb (I know...TMI but I'm still tired.) Oh....how I'm praying for a quick embassy date.

I left part of my heart in Ethiopia. I LOVED the people we met there. Most people were so kind. (except the bag people at the ET airport). There were beautiful people, regular people, young people, old people.....just like here. They just haven't been given the same monetary blessings and opportunity that we have here and we have done nothing to earn it. It is so humbling. I am continuing to ask God to break my heart for the things that break His. I experienced every emotion possible this week. I laughed and I cried, I felt anxious and at peace, I missed home yet I enjoyed the simplicity of life, I felt frustrated for the people yet I embraced them....oh the experience.

Well, I could go on and on, but I must go eat some Fruit Loops and get these pics to these waiting families that I took of their children while I was there.

ps....If you have EVER considered adopting...there are so many children there that need a mommy and daddy. Please pray for them.

With Much Love,
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. So happy you are safely home. We were praying every day. Can't wait to hear all about it.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home!!!! Wait, did I miss something??? Are you on the Dec 27th embassy date? Did you say when you return IN 2 WEEKS???!!! AHHHH!!!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't know our embassy date yet....ET airlines just offers that flight starting in two weeks. oh.....the 27th would be a miracle...Jan. 10th is likely. We're praying for the sooner, the better.:)It was hard on him everyday when we left. He cried two of the days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thrilled to read of your time and experience there. There is so much to process just by going to a 3rd world country, much less adding the adoption experience to it as well. Hope you are able to take time to process it all. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home!! Hope you hear about your embassy date soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back to the US! Can't wait to hear more about your trip and, of course, more about Justus! Glad ya'll are home safe and sound!!

    ReplyDelete