Monday, October 31, 2011

Never Say NEVER

Today is the beginning of a new adventure for our family. It is the first day of homeschooling Spencer (our oldest--almost 13). I cannot believe I am typing this. This is a big responsibility that I do not take lightly. I have poured over curriculum, matched up standards, had phone conferences with people who I knew were homeschooling middle school age children successfully, drove to their houses to see how it can work, sent emails...you name it. I've done it....and all in about 3 short weeks.

This is a little about our journey and how we got to this decision......As my kids have grown, we have always had people in our lives that we knew who homeschooled . I saw how that worked for their families and have been supportive. However, I was a certified elementary teacher and I liked the idea of the public school system. There are many wonderful schools (and TEACHERS) in our county. So, I said....I would have to hear God in an audible voice in my living room to homeschool (yes..I know this was prideful). Time has gone by...honestly it is something I "never" thought I would do.....

I  have always looked at my kids as individuals. Spencer and Natalie have gone to different schools for awhile now. (They actually only attended the same school for one year.) We have tried to make decisions based on each child's needs. This is not the easiest route....It is extra car rider lines, two different schools activities, fundraisers, learning staff, etc. but we felt it was the best.

The younger elementary grades were great for Spencer. He had loving teachers and the teachers he had loved teaching. Fast forward several years. He is now in middle school. His grades are still good, but he is not thriving. He has asked me to be homeschooled since I came back home from teaching, but I just blew him off. I was recently at an adoption conference and a couple of parents got up and spoke about how they homeschooled their kids for a year or so to work intensely with them....Another seed was planted. I do have to say that God did not speak to me in an audible voice, but a small whisper. I'd like to say I obeyed right away, but that is not true (and I'm sorry for this stubbornness). He also used ordinary people to speak to me including my son.

When I first sensed God calling me to homeschool, I was nervous to tell Trevis. I knew he would think I had flipped my lid....After all, we both went to public school and just had to get through those middle school years and tough it out when the going got tough.

However, this is not optimal for Spencer. We both knew that. After talking a lot with Spencer and listening to him, we were all on the same page.

I thought I'd wait until next school year...maybe January to start...but God has put a sense of urgency in my spirit to begin NOW. I don't know why...maybe one day we will look back and see.

Spencer is VERY excited. He understands that it is like "REAL" school except at home (without many of the distractions of kids talking while the teachers are trying to teach, lockers banging, pressure to perform on standardized testing etc.) He has looked at each of his new textbooks as they have arrived. He did a countdown to homeschool last week.

I'm excited about teaching him. I have looked and looked at books and curriculum. We went to a huge used bookstore in a nearby city and I found several great books and literature guides to use with them. I am excited for him to read whole literature again and do hands on activities that correlate with the books. The math and science curriculum both look great and I can't wait to get started today and see how it goes. The rest of the curriculum should arrive in the next few days.

This is going to force me to be much more scheduled and organized. I will be being more intentional with my kids. Justus will have a schedule of activites that he is working through simultaneously while I am working with Spencer....(Natalie is still at school).

I'm sure it will be an adjustment, but I'll have to remind myself of Phil. 4:13. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

Please pray for our family as we plunge into this endeavor mid-year.
Thanks so much.
With Much Love,
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I had many of the same concerns as you.... But- now 4 yrs into homeschooling- it has strengthened our family unit beyond anything I can imagine. Each day is a amazing opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, I am so impressed with your faithfulness and I am excited for your family. What a fun challenge for you all. I know you will not take it lightly because you were the best teacher ever! You made such a big impression on our Caroline and she still reaps the benefits of a wonderful first grade teacher that pushed her and believed in her. I will pray for you all as you start juggling a new thing to your already busy life.
    PS I will return the clothes soon. I just haven't had the energy to think about them but I promise I will. Thank you for being such a great friend to us.

    ReplyDelete